Courtesy of the Licking County Park District
The Licking County Infirmary housed persons who were impoverished, homeless or otherwise in great need. It was established under the authority of the County Commissioners in 1838. Until 1850 it was officially called the Poor House, and from 1919 onwards it was called the County Home. The original institution was located near the present-day community of Union Station.
During the early history of the Infirmary a farm was created to provide some self-sufficiency. Eventually a hospital and separate accommodations for the mentally ill were also built. Able-bodied inmates assisted with housework and farm labor. In 1969, the remaining inmates were moved to the Licking County Tuberculosis Sanitarium. Eventually other government agencies took over functions that had been performed by the Infirmary.
For a full history of the Infirmary, please click here
The Infirmary Cemetery
The bodies of many Licking County Infirmary inmates who died at the institution were taken by relatives or friends and buried in private cemeteries. Approximately 260 other persons were buried in the Infirmary Cemetery. In addition to deceased Infirmary inmates, the Infirmary Cemetery contains unidentified bodies that were found at various locations in the county. Infirmary Registers and Journals record the burials of 214 named persons, and several other unknown individuals.
The Combination Atlas Map of Licking County, Ohio shows the Infirmary Cemetery existing in 1875 at it present location. The cemetery has been known by many names including “farm plot burials,” “County Home Cemetery” and “Infirmary burial ground.” Most of its known graves from ca. 1904 to 1955 were marked with stones that only showed identification numbers. Institutions throughout Ohio used similar numbering systems during the same period. A few other markers indicate names and dates of death, but these might not have been for Infirmary inmates. There do not seem to be headstones remaining for inmate burials before 1904. Most of the bodies of inmates who died before 1904 might have been taken to private cemeteries or another “potters field.” The last known burial in the Infirmary Cemetery was in 1955.
To view a database with detailed information about the burials recorded in Infirmary Registers and Journals,
please go to burial index